Monday, October 1, 2007

The 1000 Mile Weekend!

Over the past weekend I traveled by bus and by car 1000 miles! The voyage began Friday at noon when the volleyball team left Ripon for Grinnell College in Grinnell, Iowa, some 325 miles and 6 hours away. We swept the Pioneers in three games: 30-20, 30-25, 30-18 to win our second conference match. After the game, we had dinner at the restaurant of a one of my teammate's family friends and drove 2 hours to Moline, Illinois. We spent the night there and drove to Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois for our 1 p.m. match on Saturday. The game was a quick one; we won in three games, finishing them off in only an hour: 30-15, 30-12, 30-12. My mom drove down five hours to see that match, so I that meant a lot to me! :)

I went home with my mom after the game because my family was headed to the Packer/Viking game on Sunday. We drove the 300 miles back to Rochester Saturday night, and then Sunday morning it was up to the Metrodome in Minneapolis for the game! What a great game! Brett Favre broke the record for most career touchdown passes and the Packers won! Yes, I am from Minnesota, but I am definitely a Packer fan! :)

After the game, we were stuck in traffic for an hour and a half before we could get out of the cities. We drove home to drop off my sister and my dad, packed up the rest of my things, and headed back to Ripon, 200 miles from Rochester. With the pouring rain and poor visibility, we made the trip in three and a half hours, putting me back at Ripon at almost 10 p.m., but my mom still had to drive home another three hours!

You're probably wondering when I had anytime to do homework. I did some Friday on the bus down to Grinnell, but the rest was done when I got back to campus last night between the hours of 10 p.m. and 2 a.m., so today is going to be even longer than usual since I'm going on only four hours of sleep! One cure: coffee!

--Christy

No comments: